Carrick-on-Suir Golf Club was founded in 1939. The original course was located at Whitechurch, three miles north of the town. The first President of the Club was Mr Richard Dalton and the Captain was Mr Jack F O’Brien. Play continued on the 9 hole course at Whitechurch until 1943. In 1943 the Club purchased a farm of land at Garravoone on the County Waterford side of the town and just over two miles from the town centre. The land was rough, covered with rocks, ferns and scrub. Those members who remember it at the time of purchase still wonder how it was ever possible to turn it into a golf course. However, with the enthusiasm of the members and advice on the lay-out from Tramore Golf Club’s grounds man, Tommy Ryan, the course was ready for play in 1943, under the Captaincy of Canon James Harty who, at the time, was curate in Carrick. The President was Mr William Dowley.
The course was retained in its original format until 1975, when it was decided to remodel it and increase its length – the Club having a spare 7 acres to utilise in this development. Eddie Hackett designed the 9 hole 5, 948 yard course. It was ready for play in 1976, and had an automatic watering system for the first time. Although, as of yet, Carrick has not produced any outstanding golfers, it has produced many useful ones. One national competition in which Carrick has made history is the Annual Carrolls Pro-Am Tournament, which was run each year since 1980, in conjunction with the Carrolls Irish Open Championship. Carrick is the only club in Ireland to have qualified for the finals for six years in succession from 1980 – 1986. In 1981, Carrick, represented by Noel Drohan, William O’Callaghan and Pat Wall, partnered by Sandy Lyle, recorded a tremendous victory at Portmarnock. In 1986 our team won the Club’s only Golfing Union Pennant by winning the Munster Country Clubs Cup at Mallow Golf Club. In 1989 the Club celebrated its Golden Jubilee Year. The highlights of the year were the conferring of a Civic Reception on the Club by the Urban District Council and a Golden Jubilee Am-Am Competition in which 14 of Ireland’s top amateurs, including the then reigning Irish Champion, Paul McGinley (Grange) and past Champion, Eddie Power (Tramore), and many other international players competed. The President of the Munster Council of the G.U.I., Mr John F O’Reilly, honoured us with a visit on Captain’s Day.
At the outset in Garravoone, a small bungalow-type Clubhouse was constructed and this building was enlarged and expanded over the years as membership grew. In 1967, when Liam Hogan was Captain, it was decided to build an extension to include a dance floor and this work was carried out during the following year, under the captaincy of Willie Morrissey. In 1982 a new kitchen was added to the extension. In 1989 it was decided that the time had come to carry out a major reconstruction of the bar-lounge and locker rooms. The first drawings were drawn up by our member Architect Jimmy Flynn. In 1990 under the Captaincy of Pat Shannon the final plans were drawn up and the magnificent job was finished and had its official opening on Sunday, 19th May 1991.